Looking for a lite, easy and nutritious summer meal. Try out this delightful dish. Featured is small penne pastas. Almost any pasta with whole grains and high fiber will work. Pick your favorite or experiment using the sauce on any pasta you choose. Kids will love making this one with mom in the kitchen, add the chopped veggies to a bowl and let them stir in the drizzling of avocado oil and season before adding to the stove top. Bonn A petite !
- 2 tablespoons of olive or avocado oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery,diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 leek, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes,peel, seeded and diced
- season to taste
- 1 dried hot pepper for dazzle, diced
- 1 box(12 oz) penne pasta whole grain
- Heat in a saute pan: seasoned, tossed in oil veggies until tender. Add tomatoes and season to taste. Add the chopped hot pepper for dazzle.
- Continue cooking about 10 min. low heat to desired sauce consistency. By placing a cover over the sauce while it cooks, moisture will form and produce a soupier consistency. For a thick sauce do not use a lid and allow sauce to cook down to desired thickness. A 2 oz. can of tomato sauce will give a nice spaghetti sauce texture.
- While you are putting sauce together, begin boiling salted water. Add pasta according to the directions on package.
- Drain water off the pasta when cooked. Toss with the sauce and add a sprinkle of Parmesan or seasoning of choice.