Turkey Spinach Meatballs
Recipe provided by : Sanctuary Holistic Kitchen
This recipe is a great way to hide green leafy veggies even for the pickiest of eaters. Its also a nice alternative for those who avoid dairy and gluten, as the potato keeps the meatballs tender while keeping them from falling apart.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
2 lbs ground dark meat turkey
1 large russet potato pre-cooked (leftover boiled or baked potatoes work well)
2 tablespoon ground flax seed
2 big handfuls of organic spinach
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add cooked potato with skin, spinach, flax and all dry seasonings into a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add potato mixture into a large mixing bowl and fold in ground turkey until well incorporated.
- Using a large soup spoon, scoop out a ping pong size scoop and roll into ball, then set aside. Repeat until entire mixture has been rolled out into meatballs.
- Cook meatballs:
- Option 1: brown in a tablespoon of olive oil, turning occasional until browned on all sides. Cover with tomato sauce and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Option 2 (and our favorite): cook meatballs in 1-quart bone broth on low for 25 minutes. Add in your favorite chopped veggies, brown rice or gluten free pasta for a nutritious meatball veggie soup.