Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper Picked. If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
This silly nursery rhyme doesn’t make too much sense, but choosing to snack on scrumptious peppers and pickled peppers do. Peppers are found in many different recipes from around the world and are very common (with good reason).
Here are a few of the many health benefits of peppers and pickled peppers:
- High in vitamin C which provides an immune system boost to prevent infection or disease
- Act as a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory
- Increases metabolic rate and digestive function by assisting the body with the absorption of nutrients and avoiding fat formation (which helps cut down the waistline)
- Soothes any bacterial infection as it acts as a natural antibacterial
- Cuts recovery time when a cold starts to linger
There are over 20 different types of peppers around that vary from spicy to sweet!
- Anaheim Pepper – Mild
- Banana Pepper – Mild
- Basque Fryer – Sweet n Peppery
- Bell Pepper – very mild/sweet
- Bonney Peppers
- Cayenne Pepper – Moderate
- Cherry Pepper – Mild
- Chilaca – Prune flavor with hint of licorice
- Ghost pepper – Fairly Spicy
- Habanero Pepper – Fairly Spicy
- Jalapeno Pepper -Moderate Mild
- Mirasol Chili – Tangy used in Mole
- Padron Peppers – Typically Sweet can be Spicy – Fry as a Tapa
- Piquillo – “little beak” Smokey Mild n Sweet
- Piri Piri – Pow Spicy
- Poblano Pepper – Mild
- Rocoto Pepper
- Serrano Pepper – Fairly Spicy
- Shishito – Fairly Spicy
- Tabasco Pepper – Pow Spicy
In a perfect world, the garden will overflow with peppers, and you can use them all winter long in chili, soups, and add some color to your salad. Peppers are enjoyed in so many different ways.
However, eating too many peppers is not like an Alan Jackson song. You may experience diarrhea from eating too many peppers at a time. Heartburn may occur from eating hot or sour peppers on an empty stomach. Pregnant women should not consume peppers when they are spicy because it may cause discomfort to the baby.
Sing with Peter (and enjoy) these fun peppers and pickled pepper recipes in moderation: