A hot topic right now, hitting our youth and young adult population especially hard.
Vaping, e-cigarette use.
Nicotine addiction is THE most common addiction in America !
Due to the relatively new rollout of popular e-cigarettes like Juul’s, the specific causes of lung injury associated with vaping are not known yet. With the known dangers associated with nicotine, it’s a no brainer, that these more convenient and technologically more advanced devices carry dangers as well.
We can’t turn a blind eye to our Friends and loved ones !
We can’t excuse this behavior with our Teens and young adults. Seemingly harmless social uses at parties, events, or just hanging out with their friends, turns into an addiction that gets embedded into their adult lives. This habit is then utilized as an unhealthy coping mechanism when stress and workload gets higher.
37% of 12th graders reported vaping in 2018
What we DO know:
- Nicotine is a highly addictive and harmful substance in all forms and can cause harm in adolescent brain development, which continues into your early to mid twenties
- With all of the unknown statistics around vaping, we know the only way to ensure you aren’t at risk, while the research and investigations continue, is to consider refraining from ALL vaping products
- Secondhand smoke is a real factor, and although these products don’t emit as heavily identifiable cigarette smoke, it would be wise to err on the side of caution and refrain from being around these products (of course when possible)
What we Don’t know:
- What compound or ingredient has emerged as the cause of these illnesses to date
- The specific chemical exposures causing lung injuries and hospitalizations
Trading one addiction for the next doesn’t make the second less severe or worrisome. Adolescents, teenagers, and adults alike, are trading or supplementing e-cigarettes, as a more convenient and modern option to getting their nicotine fix.
Why not try trading up to an activity that is FREE and your body will truly love…. Take a walk, invite your friends and fill your lungs with Fresh Air instead.